The Big Hug ...restore a child's lost hope
Bereavement can be devastating, particularly when it happens to young children who are still trying to find their place in the world.
It is, furthermore, a sad fact that one in 29 children aged 5 - 16 in the UK has been bereaved of a parent or sibling, and one in 16 has lost a close friend.
Grief can have a serious impact on the lives of these young people - bereaved children are, for example, 60% more likely to contract a serious illness that results in hospitalisation - and Cruse Bereavement Care exists to provide the support that can help them cope with their loss.
To find out more about how grief can affect children, please click the link below, or to help us continue our vital care for this vulnerable population click on the 'donate' button or check out or winter challenge below.
This winter, why not kick start your new year's resolution by taking part in the Big Hug Winter Challenge - a fun way of turning a new leaf, competing against friends or learning something new whilst raising money to help Cruse support grieving children when they need it most.
For kids who have lost a loved one, life is a daily challenge. Whether it's having to learn how to cook for their surviving parent, walking to school without their best friend by their side or just simply finding their place in a stark new world, bereaved children have to undergo daily experiences that can negatively affect both their physical and mental health.
- rachel 14.1.2011 id like to send a hug to all the children out there .i lost my husband in august 2011 and have a boy 12 and daughter 3.our lives have been turned upside down and will never be the sam... read more...
- It is really hard to be bereaved when you are a youngster because you are in the middle of becoming who you want to be and suddenly the world looks different. What I would like to say is that hang ont... read more...
- my uncle died when i was 13yrs old he was like a second dad to me i remember how much it hurt and confused me, it felt like a huge chunk had been ripped from my heart, years have passed im grown up im... read more...
- I am sending a big hug to all young people who have lost someone. It's good if you can find someone to talk to, charities including Cruse bereavement who can listen and help if you need it. I lost my ... read more...
- I want to send a big hug to all children reading this who have lost their mummy or daddy. I am 38 now and my mum died when I was 14 years old. I have a niece who is 14 and when i saw her last week it ... read more...